12.08.2009

Amanda's Gourmet Coconut Cream Pie

I love this pie!! My friend Amanda made it for me at all of our special occasion parties (Christmas, Easter, my birthday, etc.) because she knew I loved it so much. Sadly, we moved away and don't get to hang out anymore so I had to get the recipe and learn how to make it for myself. I am not as good of a cook as she is though and it takes me forever! Enjoy!


Coconut Cream Pie with a Hint of White Chocolate

1 cup coconut

½ cup graham cracker crumbs

¼ cup melted butter

2 cups milk

1 cup of coconut

6 egg yolks

¾ cup sugar

½ cup flour

1 tablespoon butter

4 ounces white chocolate baking bar

1 tablespoon butter

2 cups whipping cream

½ cup powdered sugar

Toasted coconut

White chocolate curls

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. To prepare crust, stir together coconut, graham cracker crumbs and ¼ cup melted butter. Press onto bottom and sides of a 9 inch pie plate. Bake in a 350 degree over for 10 minutes. Cool.

To prepare filling, heat milk and 1 cup coconut in a large, heavy saucepan just to simmering, stirring occasionally. In a mixing bowl, combine egg yolks, sugar and flour. Beat with electric mixer on medium-high speed until combined. Gradually stir 1 cup of hot milk mixture into the egg mixture. Stir egg mixture into remaining milk mixture in saucepan. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil.

Cook and stir 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. Stir in 1 tablespoon butter, Cover surface with clear plastic wrap. Cool. In a small saucepan, melt white chocolate baking bar with 1 tablespoon of butter over low heat stirring constantly. Spread onto bottom and sides of cool pie crust. Cool until chocolate is firm.

Pour filling into crust. Cover and chill 2 to 4 hours. Beat whipping cream and powdered sugar in a chilled bowl until stiff peaks form. Swirl whipped cream over chilled filling. Cover and chill 30 minutes. Garnish with toasted coconut and white chocolate curls.

Note: I also have started adding 1 tsp of coconut extract to the egg mixture.

1 comment:

  1. This is one delicious pie-I'm gonna have to make it myself, hopefully, I can make it as good as yours was on Thanksgiving

    ReplyDelete